This location was an absolute nightmare. I had driven 8 hours in the rain and was cold and tired. I checked in and went up to my room. First of all, the floors had tacky dirty shoe prints on them. Additionally, the description says it i a 100% non smoking facility and my room smelled like stale cigarettes.My room was about 48 degrees inside. So I turned on the wall heater. I waited for the warm air to come out, it took about 10 minutes for slightly warm air to come out and when it did, I cranked the fan to get the room warm. The air then became cold? So I lowered it as low as I could and for slightly warm air to come out. The front of the heater was missing so I could not direct the heat to the part of the room ( the bed ) that I wanted. And the heater sounded like a small prop plane. The USB port on the lamp did not work so was unable to charge my phone. Not a big deal, just an inconvenience. When I was finally changed and climbed into bed the room was still cold so was shivering. The heater would kick on and would wake me from the half sleep I was in. Then a car alarm went off. Then a big loud BANG woke me up. Then the other people in the rooms were out smoking and the smoke smell came into my room. By this time it was morning and I had to get up to drive another 8 hours to get home. Got up to take a shower. Turned on the water, got in the shower, pulled the lever to turn on the shower head, and just as I stepped under the shower water the shower head flew off and hit me right in the face, and water is now spewing all over the bathroom. Got out of the shower, without getting to bathe, packed my stuff and went down to check out. I spoke with Kristinina. VERY nice employee. She was appalled at my experience and said she was going to request a refund for me as the entire evening was such a disaster. She made notes and said she would speak to the owner on my behalf and I should expect a phone call. It's been a week and I had not heard from anyone. I called to speak to the owner and Kristina answered. I let her know I had not hear from anyone and she apologized and said it sounds like I probably would not get the refund. Additionally, this is not a good neighborhood. There was yelling outside happening, the cleaning supply rooms had obviously been broken into as they had pad locks and chains on the doors that had previously been kicked in. I did not request another room as I was just so tired and it was so late, I just wanted to sleep. Overall the neighborhood feels unsafe and the motel itself is not well run. It is clear the owner does not care about the customer experience enough to even bother with a phone call or discussion. I do not recommend anyone to stay here.